Tuesday 29 May 2012

jumping in to texture tuesday

I briefly dabbled in textures a while back.
I didn't (and still don't) really know if they were truly textures....
They were more like double exposures of my own photos.

I learned more when I took the 'skinny mini' Photoshop course offered by Kim Klassen 
and have received a number of lovely textures through her "texture lovin' list"

Nancy over at A Rural Journal has some incredibly beautiful textures available!
In fact, the first of my few forays into texture used Nancy's 'Spring Fever' texture and her recipe! 
Bonnie at Pixel Dust Photo Art also has a wide variety of stunning textures as well...

I am frequently gobsmacked by the gorgeous work so many people are doing with these textures

Okay
I have the basics....
I have the textures....
I have the photos....
So what am I waiting for???

Good question!

I think this is the answer...
I have been saving my pennies to take Kim's Beyond Layers e-course 
next time it comes around and I think have been waiting for that...

I have been 'experimenting' - 'cause I am geeky like that -
but I guess I don't feel confident in my skills & knowledge

But

Today I am throwing tossing caution to the wind
Today I am jumping tiptoeing in with both feet

I am putting something out there!
I guess I feel safe here...that is a good feeling!

I think this may be the first time I have produced something 
without following someone else's recipe...
so
I would LOVE feedback and suggestions,
ideas of what else I could try to have created a better final product...

I started with this photo 


It is a bit over exposed but I liked the bokeh.
  I used the clone stamp to fill in some of the colour and
did a duplicate layer using multiply at 93%
which made it look better, I thought...


To this I added Kim's texture 'Epiphany' in soft light at 83%
I used a soft brush to reveal the petals only and made adjustments to the hue and saturation 

I ended up with this as a final product:



which I am posting to Kim's Texture Tuesday - the warm edition!




kimklassencafe

Phew...


8 comments:

  1. I love the photo... before and after!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent photos ~ Wow! great job ^_^ thanks, namaste, ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all three versions!! Great job! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your experiments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Janet...thank you for the kind words you left on my blogs this morning. They meant so much to me :) I loved your post today. I know the feeling of tossing caution to the wind and tiptoeing in. I've been doing that all this year. Your starting photo is lovely (love the little bokeh in the background) and I think you did the right thing with your initial edit. The final product is simply gorgeous. Personally, I love what you did with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE what you did here Janet!
    Textures really are a lot of fun, and the possibilities are endless.
    Sending you wishes for a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janet, love how you've shown your before and after images. And jump in, girl! That's the only way to get the job done! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. well it is lovely, you did a wonderful done. i think texturing, editing is so exciting....your creativity takes over and your photo's become art. i don't edit any of my photo's, my mind is closed to learning. i'm happy your mind is open!!

    ReplyDelete